In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a good way to increase the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Consider these do’s and don’ts to create the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, reach out to others for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Identify your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want to have appliances with the latest technology?
- Think about a smart floor plan for your new kitchen. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your household. What function do you want this space to serve? How do you spend most of your time in the kitchen? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Hang on to all your receipts. Save the receipts in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use when you are ready to sell your home in the future.
- Focus only on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen running efficiently for years to come.
- Forget to consider the budget! Remain on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are worth the most to you. We advise budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you imagine you’ll need so you can cover unexpected costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to assess the windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can bring together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they offer light into your space, set the tone for the room and provide you a gateway to the outdoors, which can be beneficial when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our experts at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 231-538-2175, stop by our Traverse City showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you pick out the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.